Blue Poppy Seed Cake
4oz poppy seeds
8fl oz milk
8oz light brown sugar
3 eggs separated
8oz plain wholemeal flour
1 and quarter tsp baking powder
1. Oven to 180ºC, line and grease 8 inch tin
2. bring poppy seeds and milk to boil and leave to cool 25mins
3. cream butter and sugar, add egg yolks
4. fold in flour and baking powder
5. stir in poppy seed and milk mix
6. whisk egg whites to stiff and fold in
7. Bake 1 hr until centre firm, leave to cool in tin
Chocolate Cake, Lokshen pudding, Purim Safra
6ozs cooked and drained lokshun ( fine vermicelli)2 eggs1oz ground almonds (optional)A dessert spoon of lemon juice3ozs sugar2ozs or 3ozs sultanas1oz butterMethod: Beat eggs lightly and mix with all other ingredients. Turn into greased ovenproof dish, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and bake in moderate oven for 45 minutes.Nicer served hot with cream or ice cream. Enjoy.
Shirley says this was her mum's recipe.
Libyan Purim Safra
This is from the JC. The newspaper cutting says it is a fun Purim treat amongst Italian Jews
who came originally from Libya.
It also went down very well in Darlington!
100ml sunflower or corn oil
2tsps baking powder
20-25 blanched almonds
handful sesame seeds
for honey glaze
zest of I orange or 1 tbsp. orange water
1. oven to 180º, line 22cm square dish or tin with
baking parchment (not loose bottomed)
2.toast semolina for 10 mins in oven spread out on a
baking tray, shake after 5 mins
3.mix egg, sugar, raisins, water, oil, baking powder
and salt. Fold in the semolina and pour into baking tin
marking diamond shapes with sharp knife (about 20 pieces)
5. place almond on each diamond and sprinkle sesame
seeds over then bake 15 mins, remove from oven, mark pieces again and return to oven for 15-20mins
6. make honey glaze, gently heat ingredients, stirring
until sugar is dissolved bring to boil and boil 2 mins.
7. LEAVE CAKE IN TIN and pour glaze over (Looks like far
too much but it does all soak in!) Return to oven for
2mins then leave to cool and cut into the diamonds squares when cold.